Here is a quick "how to" on using the popular free flashing tool Etcher.
Updating the firmware of a Sky Drone device (FPV 3, Link 3, 4G/LTE Upgrade for Yuneec H520) is rather easy. The user manual explains in detail on how to do that on various platforms like Windows PC, Mac and Linux. While there is a recommended app for Windows mentioned in the manual, on Mac and Linux the recommended way is to use "dd". For some folks this command line tool may be a bit too cumbersome to use.
One solution for this may be to use Etcher. It's a great easy-to-use flashing tool that runs on any desktop operating system. This is how you do it:
- Download Etcher (available for Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Download the latest firmware for your Sky Drone device
- Take the SD card out of your Sky Drone device and place it into a card reader that's connected to your computer
- Install and open Etcher
- Select the firmware file you've downloaded
- Select the SD card (e.g. "Generic Mass Storage Media 16GB")
- Hit the "Flash!" button
- Once finished take out the SD card and place it back in your Sky Drone device
- Boot up your Sky Drone device
- all done - you're ready to go
Note: If you did pair your device before, flashing a new firmware does not affect the pairing status. Your device is still paired to your account. There is no need to re-pair / re-claim the device again.